Monday, March 21, 2011

Chicken Vegetable Soup


It all started last Sunday evening when my youngest boy got the stomach flu. Then nobody else in the family got it and we thought we were in the clear when it was Friday and still nobody else got it.  Well, we were wrong.  Friday night I got it in the middle of the night then about 5:00 Saturday morning my older son started throwing up.  Which I am happy he waited until then to get it.  My husband got home around 5:30 Saturday morning from work because he works nights.  Usually it is me taking care of the boys all week by myself since my husband sleeps during the day and works at night.  So we couldn't have picked a better time to get sick because my husband does not go back to work until tonight at 5:00 so he was able to take care of us all weekend.  I felt really bad for him because he had to come straight home from work and take care of the boys because I was sick, so he got no sleep at all!  He even kept the laundry caught up, kept the house cleaned, watched after the boys, cleaned up after my older one who was sick, waited on me, did the grocery shopping and even made up homemade chicken vegetable soup.  And he only got three things that weren't on the list, and of course not primal. Well, really two.  He got Sprite but I told him I wanted some and yes I have been drinking Sprite but right now I am just worried about staying hydrated and that was the only thing that sounded good.  He got Cheese its, which is fine because he got them for Jeremiah to eat. And he got a big bowl of spaghetti from the deli for himself for lunch.  The funny part is he is the one that was so into our whole family becoming primal and has been trying to talk me into for the past two years and I think he cheats more than I do! Oh well. He deserves spaghetti after the day he had.  I think he should get super husband/dad award! He was great!  I am use to the stomach flu only lasting 12-24 hours.  It is now Monday and I think I feel worse today than I did yesterday.  And Josh is actually at the doctor right now with Jeremiah because he still has a fever and was up all night crying because he felt so bad.  This stomach flu just sticks around.  Not fun at all. I am just hoping Josh doesn't get it now. 

So here is what was in the soup
Homemade chicken stock
One whole chicken
Carrots 
Celery
Onions
Mushrooms
Broccolli
Cabbage
Can of diced tomatoes with the juice
Fresh parsley

Usually our chicken vegetable soup is whatever veggies we have sitting in the fridge.  It always turns out pretty good. This time Josh said he used the twisty spatula to separate the chicken. I liked it that way better and it seemed like it was easier for my youngest to eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment