Tuesday, March 22, 2011

So this is what it feels like

I am still a fairly new stay at home mom.  I quit my full time job last May then in August I started working part time at an after school day care at my church and I also have my own business selling on Ebay.  Which I still consider myself a stay at home mom because I only work 3½ hours a day and my boys go with me.  Well, I guess I would call myself a work at home mom since I work at home with my Ebay business.  When I first stayed home with my boys I remember how much I loved it.  I had plenty of time to cook, clean, run my Ebay business, play with the boys, go outside, do projects with them and teach them all kinds of things.  Then it seemed like my life got extremely busy just by working the 3½ hours a day. I know that sounds really stupid because it is only 3½ hours a day.  But with me working at daycare we have to be getting ready to leave the house by 1:30. And my youngest still takes naps.  So for him to be able to get his 2 hour nap in before we leave it means I have to be feeding the boys lunch by 10:00 in the morning.  We usually have breakfast at 7:00 and I clean up breakfast, I then take a shower and get ready for the day. So by that time it is usually at least 8:30, and that is only if we are on the ball that day. So most time it is closer to 9:00.  So that only gives us :45 min to do stuff before it is time for me to start making lunch.  So unless I actually have something planned for the boys, we usually end up just playing whatever and not doing any activities or anything. Then we eat lunch and Jack is off to bed and Jeremiah has quiet time while I get caught up on cleaning, laundry, Ebay or whatever needs to be done.  Then Jack wakes up and we are out the door and we don't get home until 6:00.  My husband is already at work at this time.  So it is up to me to cook dinner, feed and clean up. So now it is about 7:00-7:30, then give the boys a bath and it is already 8:00 so it's already time to get them to bed. By the time I get them to bed I am pooped and I usually lay in bed or Ebay if I need to.  So that is our typical day.  I think this is why I don't enjoy staying home as much now.  The job in the middle of the day that breaks up our day.  We are on spring break this week and that is what really got me thinking more about it.  Yesterday me and my son were sick so we did not get much done but today has been great and we got to do so much and we don't feel rushed.  I think we have done more today than we do in a week when I am working.  We woke up, ate breakfast, got ready for the day, I started laundry, we went for a walk, got home and cleaned up the leaves in the flower boxes and around the house, the boys played outside while I switched laundry, cleaned the windows and took down St Patrick's Day decorations.  We did all this before lunch and nap. Oh and I had time to blog and it is only noon!  I just feel so much more productive and I feel like I can actually spend more time with the boys instead of feeling rushed all day.  This is the reason I wanted to stay home to begin with.  So, now I am trying to figure out if it is worth working the daycare job next year or not.  My husband wants me to quit.  But of course I keep thinking of the extra paycheck and that is nice too.  Decisions decisions.  After sitting and typing out all my feelings on the subject, I think I have made my decision to just quit and stay home full time again.  Well, finish off this year then quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment