Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Haircuts





While the boys were playing outside this morning I felt sorry for them. They looked miserable.  Their hair is long and shaggy so it was all sweaty and matted to their head because it is so hot outside. We had plans to take them to the barber on Saturday morning.  But I was sitting there watching them and thought, surely its not THAT hard to cut boys' hair.  We have clippers so I started looking online for tips.  I came across an article on a blog that said Cutting little boys' hair in seven easy steps. PERFECT!  I read it.  It didn't seem too hard.  So I got the clippers out and a towel and went to town.  I was trying for the more "professional" look and not just a buzz cut.  I don't know what I was thinking!  It started out fine and Jeremiah did great! But then when it got time to "blend" it was all downhill after that.  I kept taking it higher on one side then higher on the other then I realized, wow, it is too high now.  So I had no other choice but to buzz his whole head.  Once I got finished buzzing and trimming I looked at it and realized that it probably wouldn't have looked that bad if I would have just buzzed the whole thing to start with but used a longer attachment.  But by the time I decided to buzz the whole thing I had the bottom cut short already.  I cried for a little bit.  What is sad is the reason I cried is because the first thing I thought of was him having his picture taken when the baby comes and always being reminded of the awful buzz cut.  But then I got over it.  His hair grows like weeds and in 16 days when the baby comes I am sure it will grow out a bit.  So after all this, what did I do?? "Jack, your turn!"  Jack's hair is different. He has thin baby hair that does not look good with a buzz cut.  So I had to be extra careful with his.  I cut the bottom long so just in case I messed up and had to buzz the whole thing, it wouldn't be as short as Jeremiah's hair.   So I took the clippers to the bottom and used scissors on the top then trimmed it.  It still looks kind of long but it was even longer before I started chopping on it! And after what happened to Jeremiah my goal was to not cut it short but pretty much just trim it up a bit. 

Now I am determined to get this down so I can start cutting the boys' hair all the time.  I think I had my expectations set too high for being the second time doing this. (I tried once before last year and said NEVER AGAIN!)  I should have just started with a buzz cut on Jeremiah and once I get the hang of it try different hair styles.  But I was thinking too, if I cut the boys hair instead of taking them to a barber I could save lots of money.  For my husband and two boys to go to the barber costs $45, which includes the tip and stuff too.  They go once a month.  We are getting ready to add another boy to the mix so it will jump to $60 a month just for haircuts! So if I cut the three kids' hair every month that would save us a bunch.  I don't think my husband will let me cut his hair until he sees a few good haircuts on the boys. Lol. I don't blame him!  So hopefully next months haircuts are more successful.  I will be sure to post pictures again!


No comments:

Post a Comment